Monday, April 22, 2013

Custom orders are a thing

These past few weeks I had the privilege of working multiple custom orders for a friend of mine.  I had a lot of fun creating truly original pieces of art, so I wanted to share some pictures with all of you. 
Custom Mermaid

To create this particular mermaid hair clip, I tweaked the existing design for the Little Mermaid clip. She no longer sports Ariel's flaming red hair, has a different colored bikini top and a star fish in her hair. The skin tone is also a few shades darker than usual thanks to some fabric paint.



Figuring out how to portray a raven with felt and thread proved a bit  of a struggle at first. I knew exactly how I wanted the birds to look, but didn't know how to achieve it. Essentially, they were created by stacking  two separately cut-out wings, and a long tail, on top of the central body. Then, I created a feather effect by making tiny stitches along the body and wings. Finally, individually cut feathers were attached to the tail to give it a more dramatic look.
The first two birds in this picture were created as hair clips, while the third one is a brooch.







Robot

Ah. The robot. I am glad this one is finished; it was the most time-consuming piece of the bunch. (Un-)Lucky for me, I was at home recuperating from having my wisdom teeth removed, so I had a lot of free time on my hands.
I had bought that meshy-silver material many months back when I was constructing my costume for Comic Con, but I didn't like it after all, so I decided not to use it. It's been sitting among my fabric collection just waiting for a chance to be used, and by George! it is the perfect material for a robot.



So there you have it, our first shot at custom pieces. 
If you have something particular in mind that you'd like us to make for you, send us a message!



noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment